Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Updating the Noise Word File in SQL Server 2000

I was trying to update two noise word files in SQL Server 2000 today, but there was a file lock holding on tight. The files were:
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\FTDATA\SQLServer\Config\noise.dat
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\FTDATA\SQLServer\Config\noise.eng

I stopped all the SQL Server services and the Indexing Service, but the files were still locked. After a little Googling, I found Unlocker, a very handy tool. This told me that the Microsoft Search service had the lock. I used Unlocker to remove the locks, made my edits, and restared all the services (including Microsoft Search for good measure).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank YOU!
I have been trying to find a solution to this for a few days now with no luck till I found your post.