You'll need the following.
- 9 x 9 Pyrex dish
- Frying pan
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt, pepper, and cooking oil (I used a mix of vegetable and olive oil)
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
Here are the steps.
- Slice enough eggplant to cover the bottom of the Pyrex dish and fry it in the cooking oil. I cut the slices nice and thick so they wouldn't fall apart after cooking. You'll need two layers, one for the bottom and one for the top.
- Cover the bottom of the Pyrex dish with the eggplant in a neat layer.
- Slice the peppers and spread them on top of the eggplant. I used multiple kinds of peppers, including jalapeño. Note that the peppers are not cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste on the peppers. Sprinkle a little mozzarella cheese on them as well.
- Slice the tomatoes and spread them on top of the peppers in a neat layer. Again, keep the slices a bit thick. Note that the tomatoes are not cooked.
- Carmelize the onion. Spread the carmelized onion on top of the tomatoes.
- Add another layer of fried eggplant on top of the onion in a neat layer.
- Sprinkle a little mozzarella cheese on top of the eggplant.
- Sprinkle a little breadcrumb on top of the mozzarella.
Preheat the oven to 375 and bake for about 25 minutes or until the top is brown and you see a little bubbling on the sides. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and cut into quarters. Have some bread with this on the side.
As an aside, avoid raw onion in this. It's too overpowering.